The Church Organ at St.George's Church Tyldesley

The Church Organ

The building of St George's Church was completed in 1825. For the first 12 months or so, the church did not have an organ at all, but according to church records, a barrel organ was donated by Mr. George Ormerod, and installed on the 13th June 1826. This survived for some 34 years until it was eventually replaced in 1860 with the instrument consisting of most of what we have today (albeit not in the same place).

It was built by Henry Willis of London, one of the most famous and respected English organ builders. Examples of Willis organs can be found in many of our Cathedrals, including Liverpool, Durham, Truro,Lincoln, Cantebury, Winchester, Salisbury and St. Paul's London, to name a few.